Monday, May 26, 2014

Week 4 of the 8 Week Get Healthy Plan

To see the 8 Week Get Healthy Plan Intro- CLICK HERE
To see Week 1- CLICK HERE
To see Week 2- CLICK HERE
To see Week 3- CLICK HERE
Welcome to Week 4
At the end of this week I will be sending out 2 of the 4 goodie packages to two readers who have been involved the most during this plan. You still have a chance to join in, so don't be shy and let us know how it has been going!

During week 4 we will be cutting out all white grains. That means, no more white rice or products with white flour. We want to stick to good for you complex carbs.


Here is a basic list of the kinds of grains you want to eat:
Brown rice- To make the perfect brown rice CLICK HERE
Quinoa
Whole wheat pasta
Whole grain bread
Oats
Sweet Potato

In terms of the amount try to stick to about a 1/2 a cup serving. You can have a little more or less. You know yourself best, so do what you feel is right for you.

Instead of sugar loaded boxed cereal try out one of these recipes:
Good For You Granola- amazing over yogurt or with milk
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cereal- made with oats and protein powder
Breakfast of Champions Oatmeal
Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal- These are perfect since you bake it once and they last all week. Great to grab and go.

If you are craving pizza, try this recipe using a handful of ingredients that are good for you- Whole Wheat Pizza

Something sweet?
These Fudge Brownies are made with oat flour and you can also try Apple Pie made with a whole wheat crust.

Will you be able to handle week 4? Do you usually stick to whole grains? 
Thanks for joining!

Print Friendly and PDF

8 comments:

  1. yum! thanks!! i am incorporating these changes into my diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sticking to whole grains is reasonably easy for me - I've been doing that for a while. The only problem I have is that my preferred rice, because of the flavor, is jasmine. Now that I think about it, I have some brown jasmine in my freezer… but it doesn't taste as good as the white. A nutritionist actually once told me that white rice like basmati or jasmine is not like eating standard white rice. At the time I liked that and went with it, but now I'm not so sure that's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. We also prefer white rice, but if you cook brown rice correctly and add in the right amount of spices, it is actually very good.

      Delete
  3. i figured this was next, even though it's really hard! for some reason all the wholewheat bread i buy tastes gross, except pitas and homemade.
    btw, cherry tomatoes are the candy of the vegetable world, i snack on them all the time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some brands that are pretty good, but I know what you mean. Whole wheat pitas are great. Also, toasting the bread helps a lot.
      Oh, I have cherry tomatoes and totally forgot about them! Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  4. Ive been training myself in this area for a loong time. At this point i consider it a non option..its still hard-im a bread lover and carb maniac, and always will be, but i do feel better. Ive even begun training my husband and baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank for posting this next step! I know that this is an important step to a healthier lifestyle but it is VERY HARD! I feel like a slice of bread is the only thing that actually fills me up!!! And by that I mean a slice of regular rye bread! Not whole wheat or spelt or multigrain... :( That or pasta. Regular pasta! I guess we'll try this out and let you know what happens. I had wild brown rice for supper - a step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have incorporated the whole grain into my life a while ago and the results are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!